Saturday, April 2, 2016

The Relationship Between Occupational Therapy and English: Why I Chose to Study Both

I was chatting with a good friend this week when she asked me why I jumped from my background in English (my undergraduate degree) to OT. Personally, I always saw them as two similar topics. Analytical English is about understanding the author, piece, context, and diction in order to gain a comprehensive understanding of themes and ideas. People work in the same way. In order to truly understand a person, you need to know them-- personally, and understand their environment, and occupations. Understanding text and people always felt so similar. Whether it’s writing a final thesis, or developing an intervention plan, critical thinking skills are essential. People are grand puzzles, and you will likely never complete the full piece-- but it’s a joy to try.


Early on, I discovered the connection I felt between the two subjects. Since OT is not an undergraduate degree, I was able to choose a major that prepared me for graduate school, but not necessarily specific skills to help me land a job. This is a luxury! I got to read, and write, and explore ideas I would have never discovered before. I found out that I am fascinated with technology, and love reading sci-fi more than I previously thought. If you find yourself in a similar situation, I HIGHLY recommend exploring a subject you love just because you love it.


I had a lot of scrutiny from friends, family, and strangers about studying the humanities. People like to jump to assessments that the humanities lead down an aimless road with limited job opportunities. I’m going to be frank, these people are wrong. Like any degree, you get out what you put in. If you do the bare minimum, and let opportunities pass by then yes, you will likely be in a rough situation. But if you let academia consume you, share ideas with your professors, be open to criticism, want to learn and be better, connect with other nerds like you-- then you will never be aimless. You learn the best when you are uncomfortable. Growth never occurs when you are in the same place.


Even though I usually hate the process of being pushed, I can see progress I’ve made. Personally, I do not think I have grown more than within the past year. There have been moments of euphoria when I feel a concept or idea click. I have been dreaming and imagining what I want to do more than I have in years. There have also been moments when I have cried myself to sleep. Not because I am stressed, but because growth is challenging and sometime I just need a good cry.  


People are not meant to be complacent. We are designed to move, explore, and reach past the point of comfort. But we have to lay a good foundation. Our desires have to be authentic. Find your thing. I have said this many times in other posts, but find the thing that consumes you. Get a little obsessive. There is so much beauty in the unknown. If you are smart, and keep a big picture plan in front of you, you’ll get where you need to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment